Teaching Shemot: The Birth of the Jewish Nation
About the Course
This course will:
- Help teachers explore the fundamental themes of the seminal story of slavery and Exodus from Egypt.
- Offer teachers intertextual skills and help them develop a broader view of the story of the Exodus and how it fits within the Tanakh.
- Examine some rabbinic and medieval exegetical texts and illustrate how best to use these texts in a useful and compelling manner in the classroom.
- Offer teachers a deeper understanding of Ancient Egypt as a realistic and meaningful background for the Tanakh stories and themes.
- Consider the goals of Tanakh study and offer tools for making the study of Tanakh narratives come alive in a high school classroom.
- Explore various pedagogical methods and goals, with an eye toward developing practical strategies and conceptual approaches for classroom teaching.